2. This headline is not from the Onion: Gay penguins expelled from zoo colony for stealing eggs are given their own to look after following animal rights protest.
3. The Kossacks are upset at Senate collegiality. They want Democrat Senators to hate the Republican Senators as much as they do. Trapper John gets hysterical about Senator Corker, who led the fight against the auto bailout:
Bob Corker just led the charge to kill the American auto industry, and with it some 10% of the American economy, because he wasn’t allowed to bust the UAW. As such, Bob Corker is definitionally one of the most traitorous and despicable human beings ever to track slime across the floors of the Senate. He is attempting to take advantage of the financial crisis to literally dismantle the American middle class. He is beneath the contempt with which partisans regard even their most radical and craven domestic political opponents.
4. The Kossacks are also angry at Harry Reid because he is ineffective in crushing those traitorous and despicable Republicans. Kos argues Reid is a crappy Senate leader. (Interesting graph in that post.)
But let’s not sniff at partisan bickering. As long as Republicans and Democrats are at one another’s throat, then less will be accomplished by the federal government — and that is the best we can hope for. Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of politics!
5. Over at Eschaton Atrios is upset because corporations want to dispose of their property in a way different from how Atrios would do it. It doesn’t take much to make Atrios cuss, and this report did it:
The celebrated openness of the Internet — network providers are not supposed to give preferential treatment to any traffic — is quietly losing powerful defenders.
Google Inc. has approached major cable and phone companies that carry Internet traffic with a proposal to create a fast lane for its own content, according to documents reviewed by The Wall Street Journal. Google has traditionally been one of the loudest advocates of equal network access for all content providers.
In the name of “internet openness” the left wants the government to regulate the internet. They would rather the state violate property rights in the name of equality than let greedy capitalists employ their property in the pursuit of profit.
6. These are heady days for the left. Not only is the state expanding faster than Aunt Bessie’s dress size, but now the Madoff crime proves, to the eyes of the left, that all capitalists are crooks. Anne Applebaum believes Madoff will cripple US capitalism — wishful thinking of the left. She says one of our culture’s mistakes is believing that wealthy people “have earned their money.” Every Marxist knows this is not so.