Roger Kimball asks the question of the hour: Is Obama incompetent or malevolent? Or to put it another way, is he a fool or a villain? Or both?
As many have noted, Obama could not do better at harming our economy if he was trying. Since his election, Americans have watched their life savings disappear on the stock market. Kimball lists some of Obama’s destructive policies:
• Raised taxes on small businesses, the engines of entrepreneurship and job growth
• Raised the capital gains tax
• Lied about “tax cuts for 95% of Americans,” offering instead $13 a week, achieved not through tax cuts, but by changing the federal withholding tables!
• Destroyed charitable giving by axing the tax breaks for 26% of all giving (or $81 billion in 2006)
• Proposed a carbon cap-and-trading scheme designed to punish oil [and coal] companies and further tax consumers
Why would Obama inflict these destructive policies while the economy is collapsing? Simple. Each step strengthens the role of government in people’s lives.
(Bold in original)
People are beginning to wonder… is Obama trying to destroy wealth?
What differentiates a fool from a villain is honesty. If Obama has been dishonest, then he is a villain. There is ample evidence of Obama’s dishonesty.
I know that lying is so common among politicians as to be cliche, but Obama’s lies are brazen even for a pol. I am convinced that his lies are not the result of the evasion of the moment, but of cold calculation and long-term planning. When Obama socialized with anti-American radicals such as William Ayers, they probably talked about how a progressive must lie in a country like America, full of people blinded by the oligarchy. Because their end is noble and their enemy is ignoble, it is moral to lie. They must lie to people for their own good.
A politician who would destroy the truth is capable of any crime.
Being a liar does not mean Obama is not also a fool. Liars are the biggest fools around because they must lie to themselves as well as others. They blind themselves as well as others to the facts of reality.
So I would say that Obama, as he pursues a radical leftist agenda to transform a mixed America into a more consistent socialist state, is both fool and villain — but essentially the latter.